Looking with the Power of the Holy Spirit
The other day while walking down the hall of a building I was not familiar with, I saw what appeared to be someone walking toward me. On coming closer, I found it was my own reflection in a huge mirror. For a moment it frightened me. Somehow a full-length reflection of one’s self is a startling thing.
For several days this incident kept coming to my mind. I began to wonder what would happen if our spiritual lives were to be shown in some special mirror as they really are — all the inner thoughts, feelings and motives. Would the way we look to God be a shock to us?
But the Lord has actually given us mirrors that reflect our inner selves — if we have the courage to look.
1. A place where Spirit-filled believers are gathered is an excellent climate in which to come face to face with our real selves.
2. Constructive criticism from other trusted believers helps us see ourselves.
3. Our communication with the Lord in prayer can reveal much about ourselves. Do we share everything about our lives with Him?
4. Experiencing God’s presence during our times of prayer powerfully teaches us about ourselves.
5. God’s Word is a faithful mirror of the spirit as we study Scripture.
What blessings the Lord has in store for us who are willing to see ourselves as God sees us and to pattern our lives after the Savior’s. Not only will our outward appearance show our consecration, but our words and deeds will be His. Our faces will shine with His presence; our eyes will see with His eyes; His compassion will replace our criticism; and His divine love will radiate from our lives.